Monday - Thursday 8:30am-12:00pm and 1:00pm-4:30 pm, Closed Fridays
339 Fifth Street, Hollister, CA 95023
All planning application require an appointment prior to submittal. Contact the Planning Division to schedule an appointment.
The mission of the Planning Division is to preserve the integrity of the general plan, to shape the physical environment in a way that benefits the needs of all citizens, while balancing public and private interests.
What Is Planning?
Planning is the process by which public agencies, such as the City of Hollister, determine the intensity and pattern of various land uses in a community. Because the way that land is used and distributed in the community affects the general public, the environment and the economy, planning also involves environmental and socio-economic impact assessment, and the creation and enactment development of laws and regulations to shape and implement the community's goals. It also involves analyzing and evaluating the design for the physical layout of the community, and a public approval process to facilitate balanced decision-making.
Why Does the City of Hollister Need It?
The City engages in Planning to ensure that land is preserved and used in ways that are socially and economically desirable, in order to protect the quality of life of its citizens. The primary goal is to shape the physical environment in a way that benefits the needs of all citizens, while balancing competing public and private interests. So, Planning is necessary to help the community use its resources in a rational, efficient, fair and environmentally sound way.
What We Do
The Planning Division is responsible for carrying out both Long-Range, Current Planning, and Zoning activities within the City of Hollister Planning Area (see link below). Long-Range Planning activities, include the preparation of planning policy documents, such as the City's General Plan, which provides decision-makers with a community-wide vision and guide for future land use decision making. Current Planning activities include interpreting and enforcing planning, zoning and subdivision regulations, reviewing and processing use development proposals, creating and maintaining a land use inventory, technical and demographic research and analysis, interdepartmental and intergovernmental coordination and permit processing.
- 2022 Planning Fees (PDF File 197KB)
Mobile Food Vending Guidelines and Applications
- Mobile Food Vending Guidelines (PDF File 212KB)
- Authorization for Use of Restroom Facilities Form (PDF File 129KB)
- Mobile Food Vending Application - Long-term Operations Permit (PDF File 259KB)
- Mobile Food Vending Application - Short-term Operations Permit (PDF File 258KB)
- Mobile Food Vending Application - Developed Property Permit (PDF File 246KB)
- Home Occupation Permit Application
Application and information for home based businesses for properties located within the City of Hollister. A one-time fee of $142.98 is due when you file the application. A permit is valid for as long as the Home Occupation remains at the same address. For more information regarding Home Occupation requirements and permitting, please contact the Planning Division at (831) 636-4360 via email at email@example.com.
- 2022 Administrative Sign Permit Application
Application and information for Administrative Review of a Wall Sign, Awning, Canopy Sign, Projecting / Blade Sign, Window Sign, Hanging Sign, Pedestrian Sign, and Temporary Banner. FEES: Application fees are due when you file the application. $120.00 for the first sign, $26.00 per each additional sign, plus the 7.5% Citywide Planning Fee. Zoning District Regulations will apply depending on where your property is located. For more information please contact the Planning Division at (831) 636-4360 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- General Development Application Packet 2019
For Site & Architectural Review, Conditional Use Permit, Administrative Permit Reviews, etc.
- Downtown A-Frame Sign Permit Application
- Fence Extension Application
- Residential Fence Guidelines
- Accessory Dwelling Unit Application
- Major Temporary Use Permit Application
- Minor Temporary Use Permit Application
- Notice of Proposed Project Sign Certificate Application
- Prezone Application
- Water Efficient Landscape Application
- Post-Construction Stormwater Management Requirements
- Recology San Benito New Development Guidelines and Questionnaire
- Recology San Benito Container Information
For detailed information about State Planning Laws, and/or the City's Planning policies and Zoning Regulations, click on the links provided below:
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Flood Insurance Rate Maps
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Flood Insurance Rate Map 1
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Flood Insurance Rate Map 2
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Flood Insurance Rate Map 3
The number on the Development List corresponds to the number on the City Development Map
- City of Hollister Residential Projects List April 2021 (PDF File 125KB)
- City of Hollister Residential Projects Map April 2021 (PDF File 440KB)
- City of Hollister Commercial Projects List April 2021 (PDF File 113KB)
- City of Hollister Commercial Projects Map April 2021 (PDF File 364KB)
- 2019 List of LAFCO Approved Annexations and Annexations in Progress (PDF File 183KB)
- 2019 Map of LAFCO Approved Annexations and Annexations in Progress (PDF File 423KB)
Highway 25 Info
- State of California Department of Transportation Controlled Access Highway in the City of Hollister on Route 25 (PDF File 109KB)
Hollister Municipal Code
California Environmental Quality Act
- 2022 General Plan Progress Report (PDF File 713KB)
- 2022 Housing Element Annual Progress Report (PDF File 73KB)
- San Benito County Multi-Jurisdictional Hazard Mitigation Plan (MJHMP) (PDF File 60MB)
- Application for Annual Liquid Waste Hauler Discharge Permit (PDF File 611KB)
- Appeal Form (PDF File 78KB)
- 2018 Annual General Plan Progress Report (PDF File 16MB)
- City of Hollister Zoning Map 2021 (PDF File 2MB)
- City of Hollister General Plan 2005-2023
- Housing Element 2016 - Section 1 (PDF File 6MB)
- Housing Element 2016 - Section 2 (PDF File 61MB)
- Housing Element 2009
- City of Hollister General Plan Map 2020 (PDF File 2.7MB)
- City of Hollister Policy for Consideration of Roundabouts (PDF File 700KB)
- Mitigated Negative Declaration San Juan Apartments - 1550 San Juan Road No 2021-11 (PDF File 9MB)
- Technical Appendices - San Juan Apartments - 1550 San Juan Road No 2021-11 (PDF File 52MB)
- Notice of Preparation for the Hollister Research Campus (Hollister Research Campus NOP September 23, 2021) (PDF File 770KB)
- San Benito River Greenway Trail Notice of Completion (PDF File 557KB)
- Environmental Assessment San Benito River Park Trail Project (PDF File 9MB)
- Notice of Intent to Adopt a Mitigated Negative Declaration for San Benito River Greenway Project (PDF File 2MB)
- Notice of Intent Briggs 17 for Pre-Zone Application No 2018-6 (PDF File 76KB)
- Mitigated Negative Declaration Briggs 17 for Pre-Zone Application No 2018-6 (PDF File 2MB)
- Notice of Intent - Rosati (PDF File 58KB)
- Rosati Annexation project Initial Study / Mitigated Negative Declaration (PDF File 5MB)
- Rosati Annexation Project Appendices (PDF File 10MB)
- Rosati Annexation Project Appendix Hazardous Materials (PDF File 9MB)
- Rosati Annexation Mitigated Negative Declaration Notice of Completion (PDF File 498MB)
- Notice of Intent - Wright 13 (PDF File 80KB)
- Mitigated Negative Declaration - Wright 13 (PDF File 4MB)
- Notice of Intent to Adopt a Mitigated Negative Declaration - Felipe 9(PDF File 78KB)
- Initial Study / Mitigated Negative Declaration - Felipe 9(PDF File 21MB)
- Appendix - Felipe 9 Mitigated Negative Declaration(PDF File 1MB)
- Phase I Market Demand Study February 2014- Proposed Hotel
Planning Documents Search
To search and access Planning Department documents, including Meeting Agendas, Packets, and Minutes, please click on the Weblink Icon below:
A maximum of 25 "public" users can be logged in at one time. If you cannot log in at the moment, please try again at a later time. Documents can be downloaded as PDF documents with a maximum of 75 pages at one time. If there are more than 75 pages in one document, please download the first 75 pages and then select the next 75 pages and download again. Continue until download of all pages of a document is complete.