Request for Qualifications
Art Bench Project in Hollister, CA
The San Benito County Arts Council seeks artists to create four benches for placement at Dunne Park in Hollister, CA. in 2018.
In 2017, the SBC Arts Council launched the Activate Dunne Park Project in partnership with the City of Hollister to revitalize Dunne Park in downtown Hollister. The project is part of a two-year initiative funded in part through the Creative California Communities Grant from the California Arts Council. Following several inter-departmental and neighborhood meetings, the Arts Council developed a list of infrastructural and programmatic priorities in an effort to activate and improve the park, which included more seating and shade, amongst other priorities. As part of this placemaking process, the Arts Council seeks to commission and install four artist-designed and produced benches that reflect the unique landscape and neighborhood surrounding Dunne Park, while building the park’s permanent assets and contributing to greater vibrancy, engagement and enjoyment within the park.
Art Bench Qualities
• Must be original, artist-designed benches created for permanent installation
• Must compliment the character of the neighborhood and fit within the existing park assets and surroundings
• Must deter sleeping, loitering and vandalism
• Must accommodate up to 500 pounds for seating
• Maximum length, 8 feet. Entire design must stay within 8 feet.
• Height, minimum 17 inches. Maximum height may vary depending on the site.
• Durable construction suitable for outdoor conditions.
• Bench must include mounting mechanism for surface installation. Artist is responsible for artwork transport to designated location and for final installation.
$4,000 per bench, inclusive of all costs including installation. Selected finalists will be paid $150 for proposal development.
Preference will be given to applicants based in California with special consideration for artists residing in San Benito, Monterey, Santa Cruz and Santa Clara counties. Emerging artists are encouraged to apply.
Submissions are being accepted online at www.codaworx.com. Please refer to the Submission Instructions and Requirements on pages 3-4.
Submission materials must be received by Friday, June 29th at 5:00 pm PST.
**Full proposals are not due at this time. Selected finalists will be asked to submit a full proposal after July 13, 2018.**
• June 29, 2018 – RFQ submissions due
• July 13, 2018 – Finalist notified and invited for proposal development
• July 15 – 31, 2018 – Finalist interviews
• August 14, 2018 – Formal review by Public Art Review Committee
• September 2018 – City Council approval
• Installation- October 2018 –Spring 2019
Schedule subject to change.
Please direct questions about the project to Jennifer Laine at firstname.lastname@example.org or 831-636-2787. Please direct all submission questions to email@example.com or 608.467.3040.
Download Information Flyer (PDF File 543KB)