Hollister is the
largest community in San Benito County with a population of
36,599. The City was named for Colonel W.W. Hollister in 1868
by the Rancho San Justo Homestead Association of farmers.
Colonel Hollister drove the first flock of sheep across the
continent and acquired the San Justo grant, the location of
the community. At the first town meeting, a dispute arose
over its name.
It was suggested that it be called San Justo. However, one
person protested so strongly against adding one more name
to the growing list of saints’ names in California,
that San Justo was rejected. Hollister was incorporated on
March 26, 1872.
Hollister has more than tripled its population within the
last quarter century. In 1980, the census figures put the
population of Hollister at 11,488.
"Photo courtesy of the San Benito County Historical